Retreat of the Covenanters at Benry Bog #History
Benry Bog lies on the shire boundary between West Calder parish and Carnwath parish.
According to the OS Name Book of the mid nineteenth century:
‘1 Miles W. S. W. from the N. end of Cobinshaw Reservoir A Bog or Quagmire, situate on an extensive plain, Celebra as being a retreat of the Covenanter[s] during the persecution.’ (Vide Scots Worthies)’.
‘A Soft Bog or Quagmire celebrated as a place where the Covenanters used to meet during the persecution (See Scotch worthies) its Situation in a Small Howe or Hollow in an extensive Plain rendered it an appropriate place for the purpose in those times, as in addition to a distant view of an approaching party; they themselves could not be seen at a few yards distant and they could if hard pressed retire into the Bog where they would be quite Secure as the Soldiers with their Horses durst not follow’
Patrick Walker specifically states that Donald Cargill preached on 19 June, 1681, at ‘Bendry Bridge’ which lies on the road that crosses the bog.
Text © Copyright Dr Mark Jardine. All Rights Reserved. Please link to this post on Facebook or other social networks or retweet it, but do not reblog in FULL without the express permission of the author @drmarkjardine