The Lost Alexander Peden Memorial Free Church at New Luce
A small mystery solved. The field preacher, Alexander Peden, was the minister of New Luce parish until he was ejected from his charge in 1663. In the nineteenth century, the Peden Memorial Free Church was named after him. Today, the church has disappeared. Only its bellcote remains as a monument.
The bellcote lies up the steps opposite from where Station Road meets Main Street.
The exact location is best viewed on the Canmore entry by clicking on the map on that webpage. When surveyed in 2009, Canmore did not know where the Peden Memorial Free Church lay. However, it appears on the late nineteenth century OS map below.
The Peden Memorial Free Church lay a little further north along New Luce’s Main Street.
The seventeenth-century church where Peden preached still stands a little further south along Main Street.
For more on Peden’s career, see here.
Text © Copyright Dr Mark Jardine. All Rights Reserved. Please link to or retweet this post, but do not reblog without the express permission of the author @drmarkjardine