The Preaching Howe in Minnigaff Parish
The Preaching Howe is recorded on the first OS map of the area in the 1840s and mentioned in Studies in the Topography of Galloway in 1887:
‘PREACHING HOWE. ‘ Minigaff [parish],’ … The hollow of the preaching. The place of this name in Minigaff is in the hill district, and probably dates from Covenanting times’. (Maxwell, Topography of Galloway, 271.)
The Preaching Howe is not listed on the RCAHMS Canmore website.
Renwick and the Preaching Howe?
The Preaching Howe lies close to Minnigaff and Newton Stewart. Tradition claims that James Renwick preached in the area, but it does not identify location. If Renwick did preach in the area, it was probably between late 1684 and 1686.
According to Simpson, Renwick preached somewhere in the ‘desert mountains’ near Newton Stewart. (Simpson, Traditions, 312-15.)
Nearby are the remains of Garlies Castle which belonged to Alexander Stewart, earl of Galloway and Lord Garlies (d.1690).
An ‘Elizabeth Stewart in Gairlies’ appears on the parish list for Minnigaff of October, 1684, as a withdrawer from the kirk.
Text © Copyright Dr Mark Jardine. All Rights Reserved.