Allan’s Cairn © Leslie Barrie and licensed for reuse.
This is a list of Covenanters who were allegedly martyred in the Killing Times of 1685. Some of them still appear on lists of martyrs, even though they are only known from traditions that were recorded over 150 years after their alleged killings.
There is no historical evidence to corroborate the deaths of these “Martyrs of Tradition”.
Feel free to browse through this list of twenty-five martyrs and comment on them.
1. John Wilson who was shot by Buchan and Lee in Lesmahagow parish in February 1685.
2. An anonymous Covenanter who was killed Claverhouse’s men by the banks of the River Nethan in Lesmahagow parish.
3, 4, 5 & 6. Marion Cameron, Margaret Dun and two others who were killed in Ayrshire in 1685.
7 & 8. George Corson and John Hair who were killed by Highlanders in the summer of 1685.
9 & 10. The Craignorth Martyrs, Robert Morris and William Brown, who were shot by Lord Drumlanrig near Sanquhar in the summer of 1685.
11. An unknown Covenanter buried in Chapman’s Cleuch near Sanquhar.
12. ‘——-’ Gilbert of Gibb’s Corse in the Ae Forest.
13 & 14. George, or John, Allan and Margaret Gracie who were killed at Allan’s Cairn.
15. John Dempster who was killed by Lag in Carsphairn parish.
16, 17 & 18. The killings of the Black Clauchrie and Killoup Wood Covenanters and M’Roy in Halfmerk.
19. The Covenanter burned in a tar barrel at Geordie’s Cairn in Crawford parish.
20, 21, 22, 23, & 24. Five Covenanters that James Hogg claims were killed at Watch Knowe and by Claverhouse at the Happertutie.
25. The Covenanter killed at Cairn Connell/Loch Connell
Text © Copyright Dr Mark Jardine. All Rights Reserved.